Wednesday, April 27, 2011
It’s Springtime, and while the snow is not disappearing quite yet in Steamboat Colorado, it seems that everyone is ready to get moved into their new homes. Here are some FIRST THING tips to do when you get settled into your new place:
1. Change the dead bolts on exterior doors. Want to do it yourself?Check out this video at thisoldhous.com/newhome/bonus.
2. Locate the water shutoff valve. Good thing to know in an emergency.
3. Test the circuit breakers. To avoid overloading circuits, plug in lamps or radios and switch off one circuit at a time so that you know which outlets are connected to the same circuit. Label each breaker-box switch accordingly.
4. Install new (or test existing) smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
5. If you hired professional movers, unpack TVs, computers, and other electronics to check for damage. You may have a time limit for filing insurance claims.
6. Plug in night-lights around the stairs and in bathrooms to avoid stumbling around unfamiliar spaces in the dark.